Treatment Foster Care



Frequently Asked Questions

“What is the difference between TFC and general foster care? “

Unlike traditional foster care, Treatment Foster Care services aim to address behavioral issues, social functioning, and communication.  Pathways of Idaho’s support services and supervision utilizes trauma informed interventions and principles that are provided to Treatment Forster Care parents and the children under their care.  These include trauma-focused counseling, individual, group, and family therapy, case management, crisis intervention, community and school-based services, and medication monitoring.  Additional support services provided may include CBRS for skill building, Youth Peer Support, and Family Support.  Respite Foster Care placement can be provided for short periods of time to give relief to treatment foster parents, promote self care, and support stable placement overall.

“How can I sign my child up for TFC?”

All referrals are handled internally through the Department of Health and Welfare. If you feel your child would benefit from treatment foster care, please speak to your licensing worker. 

“What if I don’t have the required 2 years of experience, can I still be a foster parent?”

While treatment foster parents are required to have 2 years of experience fostering or similar experience in behavioral health, general foster parents are not. You can absolutely look into applying to be a general foster parent for the Department of Health and Welfare at:

Ready to start the process? We'd love to speak with you!

Apply using the button below to get the process started.

Reach out to us directly:

Facebook Icon White